Monday, March 18, 2013

A Torah Lesson Dedicated to the Speedy Recovery of a Little Hero, Adele Chaya bat Adva



Adele Chaya bat Adva is 2 years old. I don't know all the details, but I do know that she was in the car with her mom when the latter lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a bus as a result of Arabs throwing stones at Jewish motorists in the area. She was rushed to a hospital and remains in critical condition.

The angels are watching over her as I write this. I just finished davening Arvit, and reading a number of tehilim in her merit. May the Holy One Blessed Be He have mercy upon Adele bat Adva. May He grant her a long, happy life full of good deeds, charity, and kindness towards her fellow human beings.

May this conflict end. May we live and prosper in our historical homeland, the Land of our forefathers, the Land of Israel. May our neighbors learn to love and respect us, and may we merit unity amongst one another. May all the fighting stop. Please.

I spent Shabbat in Givat Ronen near Har Bracha in the Shomron. The tiny yishuv neighbors Shchem (Nablus). It was a singular experience: "singular" because of the combination of the people present and the fact that we were in the midst of the Land, the beautiful, unforgettable, one of a kind Land that we, as a people, have dreamed of returning to and settling for millenia.


The father of the house, a righteous man steeped in Torah knowledge, and reverance for the Land, happens to be a shepherd, just like our forefathers. He owns a small farm where his goats graze. He takes them to the surrounding fields overlooking an Arab village. I want to base my lesson on the things he taught me over Shabbat.

It says that every blade of grass; every flower, every tree, every living thing has an angel watching over it. I know this first-hand. When I was badly injured in '06, lying there in the hospital not able to move a joint, not able to take care of my most basic needs, I know I had angels watching over me every step of the way. As I gained strength, they kept watch. They've accompanied me throughout my tshuva process. They've come in the form of events, and in the form of people. Mentors.

Every living thing has its own "character" so to speak; its defining qualities. "What defines a blade of grass?", you might ask. It sounds bizarre at first. You get used to it. You grow, and as you grow, you learn.

This premise is based on our belief that Hashem is all-knowing, and all-powerful. He can perform miracles when He sees fit to intervene. He can do anything. So He sends His angels to protect us, especially those of us who need His protection; right now, little Adele.

"Hashem's eyes are on the Land from the beginning of the year till the end of the year." He's always watching us here. What we do here bares special importance. There's less room for "error" than in the galut. Here, we're responsible for our brothers and sisters around the world. Here is where it all happens. The Eyes of Hashem are upon us--as are the eyes of the entire world. What happens here shapes--no defines history. We answer to Him and to Him only. He's our guide and our shepherd.

I guess I'm losing my thread as often happens, but I just want to make the point that everything, no matter how insignificant it might seem, is important. The man whom I mentioned above taught me that we need to respect every single inch of the Land; that we must learn to love it as we love human beings. Because the Land is holy.

We need to pay attention to how we treat not only other human beings, but also blades of grass. We need to strive towards perfection; towards holiness. We must be a "holy people" because that's what the Gentiles want--and expect of us as well.

As I go to sleep, I want to wish little Adele a good night. May this be the night when she begins her recovery process. It will be a long one, no doubt, but the angels are watching over you. I'll leave this post right here where it is, and with Hashem's help, maybe 10-15 years down the line, little Adele (she won't be so little anymore) will read this, and see how the angels took care of her, guided her, and healed her little bones.

Good night from Jerusalem, where it all happens. Keep praying and saying tehilim for Adele Chaya bat Adva.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home