Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Letting Go of Old Ties

I'm "done" with a few people I considered close friends. I'm very happy they were part of my life, but I feel I'm entering a new phase and these people have no place (and honestly speaking don't belong) in it. Here's a poem that's dedicated to old friendships, the things I learned from them, letting go of the old, and continuing onwards...because "forward" is the only direction that exists in my life:

We met,
We bonded,
We spoke over lunch,
Now, it's time to part,
At the chess club in Ramat Aviv--
Or in Eilat,
We had good times and bad,
The time to part has come,
And while I feel sad,
What must be done has no way of escaping you or I,
As much as we can try,
To put the past behind us,
To make up and focus on the things that bind us,
We must travel far,
Leave familiar places, lands,
Foreign soil, foreign hands,
Will hug us as we prevail,
You in your world--
I in mine,
Time?
Time shall mend all pain,
It doesn't really matter who will fall--and who will rise 'n shine.

Does it?

Does it really matter if I'm at fault or you?
How will this effect us 10 yrs down the line?
I haven't stolen from you (G-d forbid),
What's mine I've earned (or my parents have given me),
What's yours is yours forever,
And once again kids will cry,
And once again, there will be lemonade and my favorite drink, Lemon Lime...

For Heaven's sake...
Why does any of this matter enough to me?
I should be completely cut off by now--
From her, from you,
Why does it matter?
Am I as crazy as everyone else?
Certainly, I'm no go-getter!
Not as much as she was, no way!
But I'll have my day, you'll see,
You didn't believe in me?
Didn't think I'd climb up out of this?
That I'd give up?
No way--not me!

And for the few, the "chosen" that never stopped believing?
The ones that never lost hope, that always believed?
Is there a present in store for them?
Only G-d knows
Who am I anyway?
Dust and dirt--
עבל אבלים
I'm quoting him again.

The end comes so quickly,
It met a so-called "settler" today,
Any one of us might be next,
Life is fast, we must make the RIGHT choices,
Not the best--but the "right!"
Flight?
From Israel (from life)?
Impossible.
We're all "settlers" here...
My people: have no fear!

Old friends will always be the best,
The first will always be the first,
The first fruit tastes the best,
When one quenches his thirst--
It's best the first time 'round,
No matter what it is,
--or is it?
Up to you to decide, my new-found group of friends,
You shall "define" my future,
My future will "define" yours,
We will laugh over lunch in J'lem
Taste the first seeds of Judean pomegranates,
Drink the wines of Samaria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home